Friday 3 October 2014

The Adriatic Coast 1966

I graduated in 1965 and commenced my first house jobs in Preston at The Royal Infirmary. It was a very busy job and we were in the middle of a spell of austerity so Harold Wilson froze our pay for six months so we were working hard for very little pay.

First Holiday

At the end of my first year working I was determined to have a good holiday so booked a young singles holiday at Catalonica, just south of Venice on the Adriatic. Have no idea of how we got there but I suppose we flew. In those days airports and planes were regarded as glamorous and exciting!

The hotel was nice, the beach was crowded but the weather was sunny, what we had come for. The young singles left abit to be desired but I formed a three some with two other girls and we had a lively time, sometimes at the expense of other tour participants one couple in particular that we called by a very rude name but we had fun. We especially enjoyed the glass of chianti with our evening meal.The Italian men continually engaged in bottom pinching which was very tedious

I took advantage of all the tours on offer, Venice, Florence and San Marino. I was immediately in love with Venice and Florence although San Marino not so much. In fact I had not really been to anywhere that was quite so tacky.
There is no doubt about it,the first time you visit Venice is magical particularly in the times of the sixties when it was not nearly as crowded as it is now.  On that trip I did go into the Doges Palace and saw the magical ceiling  which I presume was Tintorettos  Paradise. I do not remember whether I went into St Marks  but the square was magical  with an artist painting the scene. although my photos are rather grainy   I don't think I bettered them on subsequent visits.

Then in Florence we saw the skyline from Place Michelangelo and the statues of Neptune and David in Piazza della Signoria  and of course the Baptistry doors. We had a brief tour of the Uffizi gallery and certainly saw the Botticellis although not much else.

Then at the end of the holiday I had a date, meeting outside Aldwych tube station on The Strand to go to the theatre. I was very definite in what I wanted to see Maggie Smith in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie but that date ensured that I did not get back to Italy for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment